Sunday, February 23, 2014

1577th.


"I'm here to tell you the story of crazy love - a psychological trap disguised as love. One that millions of women, and even a few men, fall into every year. It may even be your story. I met Conor on a cold, rainy night. He was smart and funny, and he looked like a farm boy. He loved everything about me, and he believed in men in a way that no one else ever had. There was not a hint of violence or anger or control at the beginning. Conor first physically attacked me five days before our wedding. It was 7a.m. I still had on my nightgown. He put his hands around my neck and he hit my head repeatedly against the wall. He proceeded to beat me once or twice a week for the next two and a half years. Why did I stay? The answer is easy. I didn't know he was abusing me. Instead, I was a very strong woman in love with a deeply troubled man, and I was the only person on Earth who could help Conor face his demons. The other question everybody asks is: Why didn't I walk out? To me this is the saddest and most painful question. Because we victims know something you usually don't: It's incredibly dangerous to leave an abuser. Over 70% of domestic violence murders happen after the victim ended the relationship. I realized that the man who I loved so much was going to kill me if I let him. So I broke the silence. I told everyone: the police, my neighbors, my friends and family, total strangers, and I'm here today because you all helped me. We tend to stereotype victims as grizzly headlines, self-destructive women, damaged goods. 'Why does she stay?' is code to some people for, 'It's her fault for staying,' as if victims intentionally choose to fall in love with men intent upon destroying us. Abuse thrives only in silence. You have to power to end domestic violence simply by shining a spotlight on it. We victims need everyone. We never every one of you to understand the secrets of domestic violence. Show abuse the light of day by talking about it." - Leslie Morgan Steiner


Photo is "Crazy" - from cadydid.