Thursday, October 17, 2013

1448th.


"My mother had two faces and a frying pot where she cooked up her daughters into girls before she fixed our dinner. My mother had two faces and a broken pot where she hit out a perfect daughter who was not me. I am the sun and moon and forever hungry for her eyes. I bear two women upon my back, one dark and rich and hidden in the ivory hungers of the other mother, pale as a witch yet steady and familiar. Brings me break and terror in my sleep. Her breasts are huge exciting anchors in the midnight storm. All this has been before in my mother's bed ... Mother I need, mother I need, mother I need your blackness now as the august earth needs rain. I am the sun and moon and forever hungry. The sharpened edge where day and night shall meet and not be one." - Audre Lorde


Photo is "Mother" - from Nukuzu.